How to Write Your Own Amazing Leading Male Character (TV Drama) in a Few Simple Steps: A Study Through Three Jacks *
My shameless attempt at posting randomly about my love for the following three characters
I am posting this while still high on my Lost buzz. The premiere of season 6 was absolutely mind blowing.
1. Give your character a good strong name, something simple but solid and memorable. Something like, I don’t know, Jack?
Jack Bauer - 24
Jack Bristow - Alias
Jack Shephard - Lost
2. Give your character a dramatic relationship with a close family member, preferably parent or child
3. Give your character a tragic, dramatic, destructive and tumultuous romantic connection, and/or a failed track record when it comes to relationships
4. Give your character badass skills in his field
5. At random times, introduce the fact that your character has even more outstanding skills in fields not related to his own
(chopping off daughter’s boyfriend’s hand. all in a day’s work for Jack Bauer)
(CIA agent Jack performing medical procedure)
(doctor Jack carrying a gun)
6. Have your character go rogue often
7. Anger issues are sexy
8. Make them carry a weapon, often
9. Put them in proximity of nuclear weapons/devices
(nuke in backpack)
10. Make them yell at people often
11. Give them a frenemy who is more effed up than they are
12. Have them in conflict with figures of authority
13. Constantly portray them in their messed up, flawed image and if you ever have them up on a pedestal, make sure to kick them off, hard.
14. Substance abuse is a must.
15. And finally of course, the emo beard. Nothing says your character is epic like a hideous, furry thing on their face.
*Just for the record, I have not seen 24 since s6, so apologies for any hard core fans for my “expired” info.